A rock opera about The Little Prince? Riccardo Romano tells us about it.


Fanatic Media Group: Let’s start with the beginning of your career. How did you start with music? Were there any inspiring people who led you to take this direction into the music business?


Riccardo Romano: I think I decided to become a musician at the age of 12. My school used to organize small concerts at the end of the year, so one year I found myself playing the drums for a Europe song. At the end of the song I threw myself into a sort of solo and the whole school shouted my name at the same time, in the echo of the hall. I remember that I thought "This is the coolest thing that ever happened to me, I want it to become my life".
The music teacher was a fantastic man who taught us how to play songs that were popular on the radio at that time. I learned immediately that music could be fun.
Since then I always think that music is a game that must be taken seriously, or something serious that must be taken playing.

FMG: About RanestRane: It was your first band or did you participate in other bands before?

RR: I have played in many bands before joining RanestRane. A few years ago I had my band in which I sang, and for many years the voice was my main instrument. With my new album, in a sense, I'm back to the roots.


FMG: This band is inspired by classical cinema. How did the band choose the movies? How do you reach a consensus on topics like these?


RR: I have always been proud of the fact that we have invented a Cineconcerto formula that no one else does. Everything we write is perfectly synchronized with the movies and this requires many years’ work each time.
Every film we have chosen is part of a particular moment in our lives. For example we have chosen A SPACE ODYSSEY because we are all lovers of astronomy. NOSFERATU was our first work, and the idea was Daniele Pomo’s who loved that film very much. SHINING was chosen because we wanted to deal with a very strong and influential film.

FMG: “The Little Prince” is a very famous book. Did you expect this kind of acceptance around the world?


RR: Oh well, I have to say, absolutely I did not expect all this attention and affection from the people. The album is receiving so much support, and this rewards me for all the effort that was necessary to make it happen. I understood how much this book is popular and loved, and of course this helped my album a lot. I really wanted to write music at the level of Antoine De Saint-Exupéry's masterpiece.


FMG: How did you get the idea for this album? Could you tell us how were the recording sessions?


RR: A few years ago, I attended a theatrical show that contained some excerpts from the book. I came up with the idea of ​​writing a song dedicated to the Prince and the Rose. Hence INVISIBLE TO THE EYES was born. Later I felt the desire to write an entire work around it. It was a long journey that lasted several years. I wrote the songs on the album at different times in my life. "The King", "The Lamplighter" and other songs were written in 2012, some more recently, while the tracks with progressive rock inspiration are more recent. I remember that I have improvised a lot on the piano in the afternoon, then I would go running and take with me what I had recorded. In this way I chose the melodies of the record. I must say that in fact B612 turns out to be very heterogeneous perhaps also because it was created in a very articulate way. It has been recorded in several studios, and some musicians and singers have recorded their instruments and voices in their own studios.

FMG: You played lots of instruments (keyboards, Celtic harp, harmonium, guitar, acoustic bass) and also sang. Was it a challenge for you?

RR: I am a rather curious person, and probably curiosity was the first impulse that pushed me towards learning to play many instruments. Another reason was certainly the need to use a sound for an arrangement. I consider myself primarily a composer, and sometimes it happened that I bought and learned an instrument to use it in a song.


FMG: There are many special guests. What was the composition process? Did they help to write the lyrics and the melody?

RR: I mainly wrote B612 single-handedly – the music, the arrangements and the lyrics. But there were some exceptions. Steve Hogarth composed the melody of the voice for "The Snake" and also wrote the lyrics. Jennifer Rothery wrote the lyrics for "Letter" and Luca Grimieri contributed some melodies to the album.

FMG: The musicians fit perfectly into their characters, for example, Jennifer Rothery’s voice is perfect for the Rose. Could you tell us a little bit about how you choose the songs for the special guests?

RR: Some singers were chosen because I imagined them to be very suitable for the role. For example Jennifer for the Rose and Sonia Bertin for the Fox, I thought they could be perfect. For Steve Hogarth and Martin Jakubski it was different. My intention was to ask them to play a stimulating character and to push them to do something different than the things they're known for. Steve created a very dark and intense character, while Martin was an ironic bluesman. I am deeply satisfied with the result.

FMG: So let’s talk a bit about the Steve Rothery Band. How did the invitation come about?

RR: In 2014 Ranestrane opened three concerts for the Steve Rothery Band in Italy. I remember that I was very excited and proud because Steve is one of my favorite artists. During the soundcheck, while I was experimenting with the keyboards, I remember that the guys were watching me closely. A little later they told me that they decided to ask me to join them in that moment.



FMG: Are you working on a new project? Please let us know your next steps.

RR: For now, the thing I dream of the most is to bring B612 on tour as much as possible. I would like to create a real live opera in the style of Jesus Christ Superstar. I hope I’ll be able to organize all my commitments.

FMG: Could you send a message for our readers and fans?

RR: Best wishes to all readers of the FANATIC MEDIA GROUP, thanks to you for your attention and support. Passion moves everything, and it is the best resource we have.
Official website: http://riccardoromanoland.com/


Por: Priscila Velasco & André Bona

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário